Posterous theme by Cory Watilo

Tiger Woods beat Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 1 up

The latest news from WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, Tiger Woods beat Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano 1 up in the first round of the WGC-Accenture Match Play at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Club, Dove Mountain. The 36-year-old three-time Match play champion didn't have his best stuff on Wednesday, but it was good enough to hold off the 31-year-old Spaniard.

Neither one of us had our best stuff today,Woods said, who will face Nick Watney in the next round. "So consequentially the match went back and forth. We both made our share of mistakes, but somehow I was able to move on." Woods fell 2 down after the first two holes, but he drew the match all square with a 52-foot birdie putt at the seventh hole. He took the lead for the first time with a birdie at the eighth hole, but errant drives at the 10th and 11th holes put him one down in the match through 11 holes. At the drivable par 4 15th hole, Woods made a two-putt birdie to draw the match square. Then he made another birdie at the 16th hole to go 1 up.

Fernandez-Castano had a chance at the 18th hole to push the match into extra holes, but he missed an 11-foot birdie putt. Still it looked like the Spaniard had a chance to extend the match after Woods hit his bunker shot 10 feet pass the cup, but Woods made the putt to close out the match.

On Tuesday, Woods got a putting lesson from his pal, Steve Stricker, but he admitted that the tutorial didn't help him much on Wednesday. He missed several makeable putts during the roughly five-hour round. "I hit a couple of bad putts today," Woods said. "I had a hard time reading these greens. I talked myself out of two or three putts." At times his swing looked very efficient, but he struggled with his driver and distance control in the high altitude. "I have to hit the ball a little better than I did today," Woods said after shooting what would have been a 1-over par 73 in stroke play. "I've got to get a better feel for my distances out here."

The disappointing news is Golf-Top seed Donald exits.

Top seed and defending champion Luke Donald crashed out of the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship on Wednesday, losing 5&4 to late-entry Ernie Els in the opening round. Donald won last year's title with an imperious display, never trailing in any of his six matches, but he struggled against South African Els on a sun-splashed day at Dove Mountain's Ritz-Carlton Golf Club.

The triple major champion made the most of an error-prone performance by the British world number one and sealed victory when he sank a 10-foot birdie putt at the par-four 14th. "I'm not sure where to start," a subdued Donald told reporters. "I just didn't play very well. It's disappointing. I've been working really hard. I struggled. I gave away too many holes and made too many mistakes. You can't do that in match play against anyone, let alone Ernie."

(Resource: yahoo.com and espn.go.com. rewrote by www.thepandacover.com who call for golf cart protection by golf cart cover. Pay attention on golf cart covers.)